Warm summers day, waves lapping on the hull, music playing in the background. Bliss.
Music plays a big part of my life. I use to play piano, the radio is on all day in the background and my iTunes contains over 3000 of my favourite tracks. I grew up in the 60’s and 70’s., just as popular music really took off. As a teenager I was a full card carrying member of the heavy rock head banging scene. Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and Meatloaf all featured highly. I then really went downhill and embraced Punk.
I have mellowed some what since then, you will be glad to hear. Not sure that Black Sabbath or Guns N’ Roses quite tick the box these days
So what I wanted was some truly great songs to boat by. Obviously the theme music to Titanic was asking for trouble, Handel’s Water Music was a little too baroque for my taste, and Captain Pugwash – well its my phones ring tone, so that was out. I discounted Gilbert & Sullivan’s HMS Pinafore as too naff and Michael Rowed the Boat Ashore…..well let’s move on.
I decided to enlist a DJ friend (Tim King) of mine to help. He came up with a huge amount of suggestions and below you will find the definitive playlist I have on my iPod.
Susies Boaty Music Playlist
- Beyond the Sea – Bobby Darin
- Calypso – Roger Whittaker
- Come Sail Away – Styx
- Crusin’ – Smokey Robinson
- Ferry Cross the Mersey – Gerry & The Pacemakers
- Harbour Lights – The Platters
- Hooray Its a holi-holiday – Boney M
- If I had a Boat – Lyle Lovett
- In the Navy – Village People
- Island in the Sun – Harry Belafonte
- Long Boats – Cat Stevens
- Messin’ About on the River – Anita Harris
- Night Boat to Cairo – Madness
- On the Dock of the Bay – Otis Reading
- Red Sails in the Sunset – Fats Domino
- Rock the Boat- Hues Corporation
- Sail On – The Commodores.
- Sea Cruise – Frankie Ford
- Sailing – Christopher Cross
- Ship to Shore – Chris De Burgh
- Sailing – Rod Stewart
- Sink the Bismark – Johnny Horton
- Sailing Away – Chris De Burgh
- Sailing Home – Piet Weerman
- Ships – Barry Manilow
- Six months in a leaky boat – Split Enz
- Sloop John B – Beach Boys
- Summer Breeze – Isley Brothers
- The Last Farewell – Roger Whittaker
- The Tide Is High – Blondie
- When the ship comes in – Bob Dylan
- Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald – Gordon Lightfoot
I am betting that no one of you will have heard of the song listed in red however it’s my favourite so I have uploaded it so you can listen to it.
Before you go into a mad copy and pasting frenzy, don’t worry, there is a downloadable printable list here Boat Songs
I am sure there are plenty more so please let me know your favourites so I can add them to my playlist.